Update : This Oreo Cheesecake got featured in ” 9 fabulous variety of cheesecake that you would love ” . Thanks Likeitshort !
Morning was gloomy, overcast with clouds and I waited the whole day, just to get a glimpse of warm sunshine. And slowly the day ends un ceremoniously, revealing nothing… I was not in a mood to write anything on my blog, because I know I won’t be able to convey any happier thoughts, why to tell the world that I am not happy ? Why to tell the world about your sufferings, the days filled with melancholy and despondency and helplessly witnessing the sufferings of most treasured person on earth…hoping against hope that tomorrow will bring some good and comforting news about my Mom… and the day silently rolled from dawn to dusk…
I did nothing the whole day except waiting in anguish, alone at home… and the wait seems to be an eternal. Even after years of marriage, sometimes everything seems to fall apart, for no reason at all or when you need some comfort from the person you loved and trusted most, he remained busy in some worldly matters. And that slowly seeps into me the anger and frustrations, and being an impulsive one, I dis connected myself from the world.
But, that does nothing but increase your pain, and I switched on the TV, some movie was running…but what caught my attention was this song ” tomorrow….only tomorrow“. Except one or two-word, the song was not in English, it was in some African dialect, but who says music has a langauge. Yes, Music has no language and that is the wonder of it. It connects you when everything fails, it can heal you when nothing seems to work and it can act like a soothsayer. It has that magical touch, it gives the hopes to see the sunshine in you and infused me with the strength to face the world once more. Needless to say, I feel little relaxed and hopeful. Tomorrow is another day, lets deal with today.
And the last rays of sunshine comes knocking at my door when DH returned from the office early to tell me that he just finished talking to doc in India (surprise me !), and the doc sounds little positive too, not exciting but that’s not bad news at all. I quickly called my Ma (4am IST), I know that is so impractical, but my Mom knows me better than myself, and she too sounds little relaxed, and scolded me “why you have switched off your phone, you idiot” ??? Did I? hmmm..now the phone complaints too..saying it has three sms and 15 missed calls. Oh God.. DH was smiling, and later he explained me ” there is world outside, which does not runs on your emotions, so the moment you stepped outside your home, switched off the home network completely and true for when you stepped inside the home, and that’s the way a work life balance can be achieved. ” Some wisdom….hmmm..
Then he urged me to make this cheesecake, which I was planning for so long and just to celebrate such small happiness which may last for few moments, but those moments are definitely precious ones.
The first time I had the cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory, it simply melts in my mouth, no dessert seems to be so wonderful before, it was truly ecstatic. The Oreo crust cheesecake specially wins me over and when I saw the recipe in Brown eyed Baker blog, I was sold completely. Then after seeing the video of cheesecake at Joy of Baking (the bible of baking quiet literally), I felt little confident. Chocolate and orange, together makes a match made in heaven and was dying to explore them for quiet long time. So I infused the cake with some zesty orange flavour too and on second day I frosted it with sour cream and some hot chocolate drizzle. If you are baking the cheesecake in water bath, you can refer to Simply recipes to know how to prepare the springform pan, for more delicious ideas can refer to 101 cheesecake recipes and read some good tips on food.com too.
Recipe: Zesty orange Oreo Cheesecake with chocolate drizzle
Summary: Cheesecake with Oreo cookie crust and infused with orange zest, topped with sourcream and drizzle with some hot chocolate, truly decadent dessert.
- For crust or base :
- Oreo cookies (regular) : 20 cookies
- Butter (softened) : 2 tbsp
- For filling:
- Cream cheese (regular) : 4 pck, each of 8 oz
- Sugar : 1 cup
- Vanilla : 1 tsp
- Orange zest : 2 tbsp
- Oreo cookies quartered : few
- Eggs : 4 large beaten
- AP Flour : 1 tbsp
- Heavy cream : 1/2 cup
- Frosting and decoration
- Sourcream : 1 cup
- Orange juice : 1 tbsp
- Chocolate chips : as required
- Navel orange : sliced few
- Hot chocolate drizzle
- Special equipment:
- 8 inch Springform pan
- For making the crust:
- Crush the oreos cookies coarsely along with the cream in between and mix them. Once they are granular, pulse them in the mixer until you get a smooth mixture.
- Mix it with the melted butter.
- Grease well (base and sides) an 8 inch springform pan and press the oreo cookie butter mixture onto base of the pan and little along the sides .
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 350 F for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the filling and baking:
- Beat the cream cheese with your hand mixer (I have used this) or in your stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the sugar, orange zest, vanilla into the cream cheese and blend them well.
- Now add the eggs into the mixture one by one, beat them as lightly as possible after each addition and until well blended.
- Add the quartered cookies, flour and heavy cream and mix them well with the help of spatula.
- Add this cheesecake batter to the prepared oreo crust.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300 F and bake for 1 hour until the cheesecake has risen and centre is little wobbly.
- Switch off the oven, left the oven door ajar and let the cheesecake in the oven for another hour.
- After cooling the cheesecake completely, refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Beat the sourcream and add the orange juice in it.
- Spoon it over the cheesecake (@ room temp) and with the help of icing spatula, level it and frosted it evenly.
- Decorate with chocolate chips and garnish with freshly quartered orange slices. Drizzle some hot chocolate over it and serve the cake at room temperature.
Quick notes and some tips
1) Before proceeding with the recipe, make sure all the ingredients require for cheesecake should be at room temperature and this is very important.
2) Grease the non stick pan really well, even if it is a new pan. This will prevent the cake from cracking along its sides.
3) Cool the cheesecake slowly, so once it is baked, do not remove it from the oven at once, let it cool in the oven, this will prevent the cracking on the top.
4) Do not overbeat the batter.
5) Do not open the oven before one hour.
6) Cake will be firm but little wobbly at the centre, once you reached that stage, switch off the oven, cake is done. Quickly run a sharp knife along the edges to loosen it from the sides of the pan.
7) To quickly softened the cream cheese, pop it in the microwave for 20 s. This is for 16 oz cream cheese in a large bowl.
8 ) Butter should be melted and not softened.
9) Frost the cheesecake only after it is refrigerated for hours, and again let it come to room temperature.
10) Cool the cheesecake completely before refrigeration it, otherwise the top of the cake will become soggy from condensation.
11) Do not cover the cake while keeping it in the fridge, that means clean the fridge properly and make it odorless before proceeding with the recipe.
12) Slice the cheesecake with a sharp serrated knife and wipe it with tissue after each cut.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Culinary tradition: USA
Verdict: Now this is the first time, I baked a cheesecake…voila..what a success it was, but don’t be harsh on me, if it is not ultra perfect one, but it will definitely reminds you the cheesecake of cheesecake factory, if you have not been there, go and indulge yourself, its worth every bite. Secondly, if you follows a good recipe, and do it carefully, you can hardly go wrong with it. It’s that easy to make.
Will be back soon, stay tuned till then
This post is linked to Srivalli’s chocolate mela ; decorating challenge @ Foodsrilanka ; Vardhini’s Sweet luv ; Radhika’s lets cook ; Nayna’s Valentine chocolate ; Bon vivant ; Sravcc dish for loved ones ; Anzz cafe Valentine special ; Teena’s valentine event ; bakefest @ tomato blues ; Bakerstreet ‘s chocolate blog hop