I am neither a vegetarianism because of my genes, nor a follower of full vegan diet because I do not believe in the concept, we need animal protein to some extent in our body and these proteins are different from the plant proteins and their rate of absorption in our body is also different, and most importantly I do not want to disturb / alter the food chain pyramid, or the ecological balance in the nature.
But going meat less a day in a week is definitely something that can be labelled as healthy and balanced diet, it also helps to detoxify the body, will balance the amount of nutrition in our body and will rejuvenate it too.
Meatless Mondays is one such non-profit initiative, aiming to curb down the meat consumption by at least 15% and in a broader perspective, it will help to reduce the carbon footprints and will contribute to curb down global warming and climate changes. On a personal level, it will reduce the risk of chronic ailments like cancer, diabetes, heart diseases and obesity, and on a global level, it will reduce the carbon foot prints, minimize the water usage and will also reduce the dependency on fossil fuel consumption. If you want to know more about these movement, you can check it out here – Meatless Mondays and also the above information has been gathered from that source.
Spaghetti with tofu balls is one such attempt to help the metaless monday initiative and by doing this I have successfully replace the quintessential meat balls from spaghetti, making it a vegan friendly diet too, going vegan once in a while is a good way to balance the nutrition in our body.
- Spaghetti : 1 pound
- Tofu (extra firm / I use Nasoya) : 1 box
- Fresh rosemary : chopped 2 tbsp
- Chives or spring onions (optional) : minced 1 tbsp
- Garlic minced : 1 tsp
- Seasonings (chicken / cajun / Italian seasonings) : 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to season
- Bread crumbs : ½ cup
- Oil for deep frying
- Tomato puree : 2 cups
- Olive oil : 1 tbsp
- Vidalia sweet onions : 1 medium
- Garlic (minced) : 2 tsp
- Italian seasonings / oregano -chilli flakes : 1 tbsp
- Few Olives
- Parmesan cheese (shredded / optional for vegans)
- Cream or milk : ¼ cup (optional)
- Prepare the spaghetti as per the instruction on package, add little olive oil after it becomes al-dente.
- Thaw the tofu and mashed it, add all the ingredient listed for tofu balls. Blend it very well and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Wet your hand and make small size tofu balls. You will get approximately 12 tofu balls.
- Fry them in batches in hot oil till they turn beautiful golden brown. Drain them on absorbent kitchen towel.
- You can also bake them in oven, like me at 350 degree for 15 minutes or till done.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the minced garlic in it, As soon as the flavour of garlic release, add the chopped onions and saute till it becomes translucent. Add the tomato puree, along with salt and pepper, Italian seasonings or you can use oregano and chilli flakes. Stir them well till the sauce get little thicker, drop the tofu balls in it and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- You can also add cream or milk to make the sauce thicker.
- Shred some parmesan cheese over it ( Vegans can skip these) , throw in some olives and serve it over spaghetti.
It was perfect and will really makes you forget the meat balls, try this and enjoy the goodness of meatless meal.