Carolina is finally warming up and between the hot seasons, a cold spell of day makes it more pleasant. Though the beauty of cherry blossoms are hard to find here but we have our own Dogwood tree, native to Carolina and it bloomed this spring to paint the landscape in white.
Time is just apt for planting some home-grown vegetables, so we planted some radishes, cherry tomatoes and chilli peppers. It gives me much high to notice that the plants had germinated well and soon it will be laden with fruits. Last weekend we went to the farmers market and bought so many boxes of berries. I always love to shop from such places, the produce are so fresh and vibrant and organic too. I spotted few Myer lemons too and oh boy ! they were so juicy and fruity !
I made this lemon star cookies with those lemons, these are sugary, buttery and with loads of citrus flavor that I liked particularly about this cookie. Full with flavors of spring !
These lemon cookies stored very well in an air seal container, crispy and crunchy but not chewy. You can shower extra sprinkles of powdered sugar over these. Sugar + lemon + butter = perfect Spring time cookies. Wrap these in colorful papers and enjoy them on picnic or other outdoor activities.
- 113 g / 1 stick : Butter (unsalted)
- ½ cup : Superfine sugar
- 2 : Egg yolks
- 2-3 tsp : Finely grated lemon zest
- 11/4 cup : All purpose flour
- 1 tsp : Lemon extract
- ¼ cup : Sour cream
- 1 tsp : Baking soda
- Few drops of Vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- Icing sugar to dust
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla extract, lemon extract, lemon peel.
- Stir in the sour cream and mix it well.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the flour to the egg-butter mixture and blend it very well to form a smooth dough.
- Refrigerate the dough until easy enough to handle.
- Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator at a time and rolled it between the sheets of paper or plastic wrap like cling film. Dough will be very sticky.
- Rolled the dough on lightly floured surface and cut it into desired shapes. I have used star shaped cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies one inch apart on un greased cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven at 375 F for 10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Enjoy these lemony cookies with your cup of coffee or tea.
I do not care much about to frost the cookies, but if you must then you can follow the recipe at taste of home.. This recipe has been adapted from Taste Of Home.
Coming to the Giveaway part, first let me thank you for showing your support and love and we really appreciate this. The winner has been chosen on random basis from a list of the valid entries submitted within the time length.
And the winner is : …………… After randomizing the list, the name that pops up in the top is
Congratulation Babitha Costa. You have won the Flipkart e-gift voucher. We will contact you soon.