I know baking is hot, baking is divine but for me the world of baking starts and ends with a simple vanilla sponge cake. Sounds strange enough isn’t it ? Such creatures still exist on Earth and I am one of them. Though I have tasted many gourmet baked desserts but baking those goodies that too in my kitchen, never materialise. Never, until that day…
And these food bloggers brings sheer torture to the people like me with their heavenly gorgeous and sumptuous food y pictures which often torment my poor soul, ignite my passion and fire my desire for….gorgeous red velvet cake, utterly delicious black forest or heavenly pecan pie laden with dollops and dollops of cream….yummmm , and this is really sinful, don’t you think so ? But it also invokes my passion for baking and finally the day has come when I decided to take the plunge and I join this sinful tribe of food bloggers with lemon blueberry loaf cake. And this one is really simple and decent cake.
Yes, this is a super easy loaf cake, because I baked it !!! yes, I can bake too !!! and if a noob baker like me can do it, I believe every one out there who has not entered the world of baking yet, can do it too.
Those who are of the opinion that baking is a great stress buster, you guys are absolutely right. Not only that but also it gives an immense joy and satisfaction, kind of doing something good, very enjoyable and at the same time it brings out the creative self in you.
So to chronicle my experiments with baking, I decided to start a new page on this, “I can bake too” and while I will be graduating to higher levels, which I am sure I will be able to do, I will keep renaming it, so please do check this section regularly and let me know how you feel about my experiments. And I promise you its going to be fun-filled.
Coming to the itsy-bitsy of baking, I know there are lots of good books on baking, but unfortunately I don’t have any but I do have google at my disposal ! and It does leads me to some of the fantastic site on baking, I will list it gradually but the one “joy of baking ” is definitely a bible on baking. This recipe of lemon blueberry loaf cake has been adapted from “taste of home” another good site on baking.
Butter (softened or at room temperature) : 1/2 cup
Sugar (granular) : 1 cup
Eggs : 2
Milk (full fat): 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract : 1 tsp
Juice of lemon : 2 tsp
Salt : 1/4 tsp
All purpose flour : 1 3/4 cup
Baking powder : 2 tsp
Fresh Blue berries: 1 cup
- Baking is all about measurements, a minor changes in it can bake or break the cake. So better to use designated measuring cups and spoons for accurate measurements. If you do not have any, then at least try to use a constant index of measurement. Like a same table-spoon or your favourite coffee mug each time and every time.
- Pre -heat the oven to 350 degree.
- After you collect the ingredients for the recipe, the first step is to cream the butter, Creaming is a baking term and it means mixing the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. This is very tricky and very tedious one, as the sugar becomes dense after mixing with butter and with wire whisk it becomes a never-ending process. But patience my friend, start whisking it very slowly, it will warm up gradually and after 10 minutes you will find it quiet manageable and becomes less denser. Whisk it fast until you get a desired texture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs completely and add the vanilla extract, lemon juice and mix it.
- In another bowl, add the flour and sprinkle the baking powder and salt. Just mix it once or twice so that baking powder and salt mix well into the flour.
- Add the eggs into the creamed butter and whisk well. Next add the flour and milk into it. Wait ! this mixing is usually done by starting with flour (or dry ingredient) and finishing it off with milk (wet ingredient). Sounds confusing ? Okay well, you add a spoon of flour into the bowl and little milk, whisk it until just combined and repeat the process till the flour and milk last.
- Fold the blue berries into it and your cake batter is done.
- Next step is to prepare the cake tin. I have chosen a loaf tin of 9*5 in dimension and grease it. You can use the parchment paper to line the loaf tin, and if you do not have any, then use the ancient technique of grease and flour. You can use butter, vegetable oil or olive oil, if the pan has non stick coating it requires few drops of oil only. Just baste the oil in the bottom of the tin with a brush and dust it with flour, tap the sides of the tin to shake off the excess flour.
- Add the cake batter and even out the top.
- Keep the loaf tin in the middle rack of your oven and bake it @ 350° for 55 minute.
- Insert a fork / or blunt knife in the middle and if it comes clean, your cake is ready, turn off the oven, take out the cake tin and keep it on a cooling rack or on your kitchen towels. Cool it for more than 10 minutes.
- Slice it down and served with cup of tea or coffee or serve the slices with dollops of cream and fresh berries or else you can use the slices to make some dessert.
Verdict: It was too good, the cake was soft and moist as it should be, bursting with flavours of fresh blueberries and the juicy lemon add the zing to it.
On the flip side, I found that it was difficult to slice the cake even after cooling it for half an hour, the cake crumbles and the slicing was not neat, do let me know where I have gone wrong?
I have stored the slices in air tight container, if you have any other or better idea of storing the baked goodies then please share the tip here.
Do share this lemon blue berry loaf cake and give your ratings too, as it will help me to decide on the progress bar !