” Where there is love there is life ” — Gandhi
VALENTINES DAY SPECIAL RECIPES DAY 2
It is movie time now ! and I know popcorn are just irreplaceable, but give these little cuties a chance to win your heart. The classic flavour of tomatoes and cheese rolled up in a flaky crust is just waiting to melt in your mouth, and if you love bacon, then go ahead and decked up these cute little hearts with bits of bacon and prosciutto ham, and see the magic. I bet you will love every bite of it.
You must be wondering why a savoury hearts for your Valentine, as you might have expected a sugar-coated hearts with colorful sprinkles all over it, well we left that to you, the sweet part 😉 , and let these savoury hearts to bring the balance and make it perfectly harmonious !
I have made these tomato – cheese hearts several times whenever I needed to entertain a houseful of guests, and always bathed in their appreciative looks, and this recipe is astonishingly popular with kids as well, provided you keep it simple just with tomatoes and cheese only. And the high point is that this is extremely easy to make and can be done in straight 30 minute. So without stressing yourself too much to prepare a good meal for your valentine, you can rely on this quick and easy appetizer and tomato and cheese combo never fails to impress even the hardest of picky eaters !
This idea has been inspired from here, and you can personalize the recipe to your heart’s content, with your choice of herbs and fillings and even replace the flour with healthier ones.
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted Butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Oregano (dried)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (dried)
- 3-4 tbsp Crushed tomatoes (seasoned)
- 1 tbsp Minced red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp Shredded cheese
- Melted butter to brush the hearts
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Rub the butter in the flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in the dried oregano and parsley.
- Mix the dough with sufficient water to collect it, knead the dough lightly for 5 minutes and let it rest.
- Roll out the dough in a rectangular shape.
- With the help of a spoon, spread the crushed tomatoes over it, leaving a ¼ inch margin from the sides.
- Next distribute the minced red bell peppers evenly over the rolled dough and finished it with grated cheese.
- Roll along edges of dough to meet in center.
- Place the dough in a greased plate and freeze it for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Take out the dough from the freezer and put it on cutting board, seam side down.
- Slice it with a sharp knife at ½ inch regular intervals.
- Pinch the tip of the heart a little to give it a shape.
- Place the hearts on prepared baking sheet, brush melted butter over the hearts and bake it for 10 minutes until lightly browned and firm.
- Cool the savoury hearts on a wire rack for 1 minute before serving it.
Apart from bell peppers, this will go good with crumbled feta cheese, paneer, bacon and prosciutto ham cut into tiny bits.
After our breakfast in bed Valentine special recipe, I am sure you will love these cute little hearts.
Enjoy and have a great day ahead ! Stay tuned for next in the series !