Brown Butter Italian Skillet Chicken In Lemon Butter Sauce With Veggies – the easiest, the tastiest and the best est skillet chicken you will ever make. Worthy of special occasions or zest up your regular weeknight dinners, this skillet chicken in one word is a killer. So save this recipe and try it out soon.
Happiness is like cooking a good and hearty meal and licking it up clean- like this Brown Butter Italian Skillet Chicken With Veggies. Wholesome dish, low on oil, healthy and equally delightful to savor. You really can never had enough of chicken recipes in your kitty, you always need a fresh one, with new set of ingredients, new cooking techniques and new flavours to play and be amused with the sheer joy and pleasure it brings to oneself.
This brown butter skillet chicken infused with Italian flavours does exactly that.
This recipe is heavily inspired from classicand comforting Italian Chicken Piccata. Wait, this is actually chicken piccata dish sans capers or when you run out of capers and still want to whip up something delicious and good, this is the one. You wont regret the inconspicuous absence of salty capers here, which are not replaced or substituted but adding some veggies to the dish, takes the flavours and taste to a new height. At the same time it lends a wholesomeness to the dish.
What is Italian Chicken Piccata dish ? Traditionally Piccata is made with veal, but different food preferences and lifestyle choice of people always brings out the best alternatives, and the result is this chicken piccata which is very much a Italian American dish. Experimentation brings out new flavours and as time transgress, that becomes a tradition.
For Chicken Piccata, chicken breasts are usually butterflied, then dredged in flour, pan roasted in butter or olive oil and then stewed in sauce flavoured with rings of lemon, herbs, butter, garlic and caper. After reduction, butter is stirred into finish the dish.
What different I did here?
I have cut the chicken breast into medium size portions, which I had seasoned well and lightly dusted them in flour, thus cutting out the carbs. You will need a good skillet to cook this, any metal skillet (not non stick pans) will definitely quicken the entire process. I have used my steel pan, wrought iron pans will also do.
Lightly smeared the pan with butter and roasted the chicken lightly in butter. You need to do this on medium low heat as we are not using enough fat to cook the chicken. Once browned evenly on all sides, slot the chicken out of the pan. The sauce is usually made with pan drippings, so save them , those are the real flavours and do not discard it. It lends beautiful smoky aroma to the dish. I had added few veggies like red bell peppers, sweet potatoes and carrots. You can add mushrooms too, but use that with different combination of veggies. In my opinion mushrooms and carrots wont go together well in this recipe.
Sauce is made with lemon, chicken broth, dried and fresh parsley, butter, salt , pepper and dried oregano and white wine. You can easily skip the wine part also, but then it really add some subtle flavour to the dish.
And most importantly remember to go light on lemon juice, it should not be too overpowering.
The veggies gives such nice texture to the dish, the starch from soft sweet potatoes gives a nice shiny glaze to the dish and it adds to the creaminess also. Unlike in other variant of this dish, where people loves to add cream and cheese , you can happily skip them off without compromising on the taste.
Lastly unlike the true Piccata sauce which is marked by the distinctive presence of capers, I had skipped it.
What to serve with this Chicken in Lemon Butter Sauce dish?
You can have it as a side with your choice of pasta. But I feel any crusty bread will be good pair to serve with this dish. We had finished it off with freshly homebaked garlic bread slathered in herb infused butter.
And believe me it was just out of this world, the crustiness of the garlic bread, the luxuriant velvety smooth gravy with distinctive smoky flavour that comes from the brown butter, the soft veggies and roasted chicken in lemony buttery sauce – so delicious, so heavenly that my three year old picky eater wanted to have this kind of meal everyday. And that was so so gratifying.
Skillet Chicken In Lemon Butter Sauce
- 500 gm Chicken breast
- 50 gm Butter
- 1 cup Onions, white
- 1 cup Carrots
- 1 cup Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Chicken Broth / Water
- ¼ cup White Wine, optional
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper as required
- 3 tbsp White flour
- Wash and clean the chicken breast and cut it into portions. Squezze the excess water out of the chicken and pat them dry.
- Mix the flour with the salt, pepper, chilli flakes. Dust the chicken with the flour - seasoning mix. Light dusting will do. No need to dredge it or coat the chicken pieces with the flour.
- Lightly grease a metal skillet and spread the chicken pieces over it. Roast the chicken pieces on medium low till the chicken pieces are well browned on all sides.
- Slot the chicken out of the pan and reserve the pan liquid in a separate bowl.
- In the same pan, lightly fry the onions till they become soft and translucent. Lightly fry the minced garlic too. Add all the veggies and saute them lightly. Add knob of butter if requires.
- Stir in the chicken broth and pan liquid. Return the browned chicken pieces to the pan, cover and cook on low heat till veggies are fork ready and chicken is tender.
- Stir in the lemon juice, white wine if using, all the seasonings dried oregano, dried parsley, salt and pepper if require more. Bring everything to a rapid boil and let it simmer on low heat. You can also throw few lemon rings too in the pan for extra added flavour. But make a note that lemon rings will add slightly bitter taste to the gravy.
- Adjust the gravy as per your preferences. By this time gravy should be slightly thickened.
- Stir in the brown butter to finish this off.
How to make brown butter
- Take the butter in a saucepan and warm it up. Once the butter is melted, increase the heat to medium low. Swirl the pan ocassionally. Foam will begin to collect on top. And the color will change from light brown, tan to nutty golden color. Strain the brown butter through mesh or cheesecloth , discard the burnt solids and use the brown butter in the recipe.