VALENTINES DAY SPECIAL RECIPES DAY 3
Try this. A fancy dinner for two – Easy Herb Crusted Tilapia In Zesty Mango Sauce that will come under 20 minute. It is spicy, sweet , tangy and zesty all rolled into one. In one word, an explosion of flavour awaits you.
How to make Mango Sauce at home?
Have you ever tried Thai Mango Sauce before? If not, then you need this in your life. The sweet buttery smooth mango sauce taste so scrumptious that you will want to pour it over almost everything. As a dip for crusted shrimps, as a sauce for fish like this herb crusted tilapia in mango sauce or as a curry base for chicken too. You will fall in love with this at first taste test. Believe me, it is that good.
And if you can make this at home, more brownie points to you.
The neighboring Asian grocery mart is my favourite place to hang out for obvious reasons. This is the place where I first met with this golden shiny mango sauce sitting cozily in the “sauce and dip isle”. Its golden color caught my attention and I was floored over by its unique and unmatched taste, something I have never tried before. This mango sauce is perfect as a dipping sauce for crusted shrimps, or fish fingers, but for curries I had found it little over sweet for our taste.
So, what next? I had tried making the mango sauce at home and absolutely love this. Making this at home and personalizing it will definitely give you more flavour options. My mango sauce uses ample amount of chilli paste that perfectly balance out the sweet taste of ripe mangoes. Minced ginger and bit of fish sauce deepens the flavour profile and little bit of orange zest will add nice punch to the sauce. In one word, it is explosion of flavour in mouth.
What goes best with the zesty mango sauce?
I have used this sauce as a curry base for my herb crusted tilapia fish. You can use cod fillet too or salmon even. The best part about tilapia fillet is that it is lighter on diet, packed with essential Omega-3 fatty acids, not too heavy and not that expensive. Plus it is easily available as fresh fillet, where I live. You can use frozen as well.
Looking for more Tilapia fish fillet recipes? Try this – Tilapia in cilantro walnut sauce.
Not a seafood fan?
Swap the fish fillet with chicken fillet . Adjust the seasonings, bring down the sweetness of mango further with red onions and garlic. In short, you can totally personalize this mango sauce as per your recipe and taste. This dish beckons a simple play of flavour, texture and there are lot of scope to personalize it. So choose the flavours that are close to your heart and make this for your loved ones !
How to cook tilapia fish fillet?
Bake it – Tilapia is one of those white fish that can be cooked in hundred possible ways. I prefer to bake the fish which is the most simplest way to cook the tilapia and can be finished under 15 minute or so.
Bread it -This fish can be breaded nicely too, with ample choice of crust. I have used dry herbs in the crust, like dry basil and little bit of dry parsley too . You can use coconut flakes too for true tropical flavours. Super crunchy and slightly coarse texture breadcrumbs (I use homemade breadcrumbs) is however must for the extra crispiness.
Pan Seared it -If you want to keep it simple, just pan seared it lightly and it will be good to go with any recipe. Just keep it in mind that tilapia fillet get cooked very fast and can become chewy and dry if seared for too long.
Mexican style – You can also serve this herb crusted / breaded tilapia with this delightful summer favourite, mango – pineapple salsa. Here is how to make Mango Pineapple Salsa.
Also do check our – Baja Chili Fish Naan Tacos With Mango Salsa And Papaya Slaw.
Herb Crusted Tilapia In Mango Sauce
- 1 cup Ripe mango puree (sweet)
- 3-4 tbsp Sambal olek / Thai bird chili paste
- 2 tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 tbsp Orange zest
- ½ tbsp Lemon Zest
- ½ tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 Tilapia Fillet
- Oil for pan frying the fish
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp Dried Basil
- 2 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli flakes
- Chiffon ed Spring Onions to garnish
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Thaw the fillet of Tilapia fish and dry it with absorbent kitchen towel.
- In a wide plate, mix the bread crumbs with the herbs of your choice.
- In a shallow plate beat the egg lightly with dash of salt.
- Heat the non-stick pan sufficiently and reduce the heat to medium.Drizzle oil as much require to fry the fish.
- Rub around 2 tablespoon of sambal olek or chilli paste over the fish fillet and keep aside.
- Dip the fish fillet in egg coating it evenly and then flour the fillet in herb ed bread crumbs, shaking off the excess.
- Once the oil is sufficiently hot, add the lightly breaded tilapia and fry it evenly till a light brown hue is visible.
- Lower the heat and fry the fish fillet till done. It will take around 3-4 minutes on each side depending upon the thickness of the fillet.
- Once it is done take out the fish on a separate plate.
- In the same oil add the minced ginger, saute for a while and add the mango puree.
- Next add the remaining sambal olek or chilli paste, honey, zest of orange and lemon, salt to taste and give the sauce a stir.
- Bring the sauce to first boil and let it simmer on low for 3-4minutes. Check for the seasonings. Mango sauce is ready. At this stage you can bottle the mango sauce for later use.
- For preparing the curry base, Stir in the coconut milk into the mango sauce. Give a nice stir and let it simmer on low for couple of minutes.
- Pour this over the herb crusted tilapia fillet. Garnish with spring onions.
- Serve it over bed of rice or as a side with noodles or pasta.