It gives me immense pleasure to share with you all that a short Q & A style interview of mine has appeared in Nari Sakhi, an online forum for women and many thanks to Laksmi, the editor of Nari Sakhi for showing interest in Saffronstreaks. It was pleasurable experience answering their queries.
Now, there is another exciting news, yeah todays post is double bonanza, you see ! It has just arrived – my first ever DSLR camera, it is Nikon 7100 with zoom lens of 18-105 mm plus an extra memory card. I know what you are thinking – where is the prime lens ? Yes, we will order it soon, but before that let me get the hang of this brand new camera. I love to take pictures, but never thought that one day I will get so much absorbed in this that I will need to upgrade my camera. Blogging has carved out a new hobby for me, and has sharpen my photography skills from nil to level zero ! There is much to learn about it, the art and science behind the photography and I am enjoying the both at present.
So good news demands some sweet dish, dear ! here we present – Key lime pies from Florida, the citrus capital of US. Florida and key lime pies goes hand in hand together. I bought these key limes all the way from Florida, as my local grocer doesnt stock these often.
Though the recipe is based on traditional key lime pie, but I have added a teaspoon of chipotle jam, just to spike it up a bit. A ginger snap crust with the sweetness of condensed milk, tartness of key limes with a hint of spice by the chipotle, made it perfect for us. If you do not have access to key limes, then try it with strong flavoured limes of your choice, or you can use Nellie & Joe key west lime juice too.
Variation – The other day as I was pondering over this key lime pies, when an idea suddenly struck me. In India during summers, we often make this green mango drink, called aam ka panna. The green unripe mangoes has perfect balance of sweet and tartness, so it could be a good idea (actually fabulous idea ) to substitute these key limes with green mangoes to make “kairi tart” or green mango tarts. How does it sound ? Fantastic !!! I knew it !
- 12 -15 Ginger snap cookies
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 can (14 oz) sweet condensed milk
- 1tbsp Lime zest
- 2 Eggs whole
- ½ cup Lime juice
- 1 tsp Chipotle jam (optional)
- Crush the ginger snap cookies and pulse it in mixer for finer crumbs.
- Add the sugar and melted butter, mix it and press into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 10 minutes untill it becomes firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool it slightly before adding the filling.
- In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, eggs, lime juice and lime zest. Whisk it until well blended, and stir a teaspoon of chipotle jam if using.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust or pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minute until set, remove from the oven, cool it and then chill in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- Serve the key lime pie chilled with a dollop of whipped cream or frost it with sour cream on top.
- Dash of sriracha may be !
Hope you have enjoyed it