Mughlai Paneer Korma – This one is for all the paneer lovers out there, here is another reason to rejoice as we have successfully developed a new way to enjoy the milky white soft cheese cubes in velvety nutty gravy. Paneer korma in true Mughlai style with overtones of garlic, richness of cashews and almonds in yogurt based gravy that does full justice to the taste of homemade soft and velvety paneer or cheese cubes. Learn here how to make soft paneer at home.
Summer is gradually descending upon us, and with rising temperatures and anticipating hotter days we are looking forward to coolants, adopting mild and subtle flavours in food that will go with the season. The heavy food of winter is getting replaced by light, healthy and soothing food menu. Eating seasonally is an age old practice for the best nutritional values but in the modern times we are slowly forgetting that. Apart from introducing the spring and summer produce in the diet like moringa flowers and so on, we are also looking forward to mild spices and the kind of dish that can be prepared easily without sweating too much in the kitchen. Like this vegetarian Navratan Korma recipe.
This paneer korma is exactly like the one I am. talking about, mild on palate but fabulous one when it comes to taste and flavour. The smooth, mellow flavour of paneer korma is characteristic of all mughlai cuisine where onion is first boiled and then blend to make a satiny paste. Without garlic this will taste quite insipid. Garlic overtones are must here, so please do not skip that. Cashews and almonds brings a richer and nuttier taste to the dish. With butter naan or onion kulcha you can mop it up the smooth velvety paneer korma in minutes.
I have few more delicious way to cook this beautiful soft, milky white paneer in my blog. Hop here to read all my Paneer Recipes.
Lahsuni Paneer Korma Recipe In Mughlai Style, Creamy & Delicious
- Paneer : 200 gm cut into small triangles
- Onion medium: 1
- Garlic : 10-12 cloves use fatty ones
- Cashew and Almonds : 10 piece each soaked in water
- Ginger finely minced : 1 tsp
- Green chilli : 2 medium size depending upon the hotness
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder : 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder : a pinch
- Shahi garam masala : 1/2 tsp
- Whole garam masala : cloves 3-4 , cinnamon (1) , green cardamom (2-3)
- Black pepper powder : a light shower
- Yogurt : 1/4 cup thick and creamy
- Cream / creamy milk : 2-3tbsp
- Ghee / oil as required
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Chopped pistachios and kasuri methi for garnish
- Cut the paneer into small triangles. Keep a bowl of warm water ready.
- Heat some oil in a pan and let it heat to good temperature. When it is sufficiently hot, fry the paneer triangles. Once the underside of paneer starts absorbing brownish hues, flip it over and dunk them in bowl of warm water.
- Please note that if the oil is not hot enough, paneer will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once done, keep the bowl of paneer in warm water aside, until further required.
- In the same pan, lightly sautee the garlic and green chillies.
- Make a paste of cashew and almond with one teaspoon of yogurt.
- Now in a separate vessel, boil the onions.
- Make a paste of onion with sautéed garlic and green chillies until smooth.
- Return to the pan, add some oil if requires.
- Fry the onion-garlic-green chilli paste, till they turn light brownish. Add the minced ginger to it.
- Add whole garam masala and keep frying for 2-3 minute more.
- Add cashew-almond paste to the pan and keep stirring on low heat.
- Add all the spices except shahi garam masala and black pepper, keep frying.
- Switch off the gas and let it rest for one minute.
- Stir in the thick and creamy yogurt one tablespoon at a time.
- Blend it really well, so that no traces of yogurt can be seen.
- Add the paneer cubes. Add two cup hot water and stir it.
- Switch on the gas, cover and let it cook on low heat for 5 minute.
- Check for the seasonings. Stir in the shahi garam masala powder.
- A gentle drizzle of black pepper powder.
- Once the gravy is reduced to as per required consistency, add 2-3 tbsp cream or creamy milk.
- Roughly scrambled kasuri methi in your hand and stir in the gravy. Use kasuri methi as per your liking but do not skip that.
- Drizzle few drops of ghee. Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Serve warm with butter naan, onion kulcha or with pulao.
You can check the recipe for making shahi garam masala , used in this recipe, here.