This post was first published in 2011 and now re-published again with fresh content , photographs and a video recipe.
This Indian Green Chicken Curry In Microwave is by far the most easiest and healthiest chicken recipe.
And my favourite chicken recipe I had ever tried at home.
Completely hassle free. Saves time. Saves fuel.
Please give this a try. You will love this.
Best for working moms and bachelors. Any one with zero experience in cooking can also make this easiest chicken curry. Can be prepared in a jiffy under 20 min.
Plus low oil and absolutely healthy. What more you can ask for?
So, you see it is a win-win for everyone.
I had first learned this recipe some fourteen years back when I had started using microwave oven for the first time. And had tried many dishes in microwave since then from start to finish. And over the years this has become my most favourite way to cook chicken curry in microwave since then.
Please click on the video to understand the steps.
What you will need for this microwave green chicken curry?
1.Microwave, off course. I have convection microwave oven at home. You will be using the microwave function only for this recipe.
3. Fresh herbs like cilantro (coriander leaves) and mint leaves. Please do not use the frozen ones for this recipe. Nothing beats the freshness of the herbs in a recipe.
4. Spices, regular ones that is easily available in any Indian kitchen pantry.
5. Staples like onions, ginger, garlic, yogurt, limes, green chilies and cooking oil.
6. Optional ingredients like roasted besan (chickpea flour and coconut milk)
That’s it. Nothing else.
Looking for more Green Chicken Curry?
We have got you covered.
How to make this Indian green chicken curry in a microwave?
- First, you will need to prepare the chicken and marinate it. Marination is not absolute necessary step for this recipe. But it saves time. So I always do this make-ahead preparation steps like thawing the chicken on counter first, then marinating the chicken overnight in fridge and next day, you just need to cook the chicken.
- Second, you will need fresh herbs like coriander leaves (cilantro) and mint. All the ingredients – coriander leaves with stems, mint leaves, onion, ginger, garlic, yogurt (dahi), lime juice, green chiles, salt put in a mixer jar and blitz it to a smooth paste. Tada!
- Now just marinate the chicken in this green chutney paste for 30 min to overnight in a fridge.
- Before cooking the chicken in microwave just add 1-2 tablespoon oil and mix it.
Microwave high at 900watt for 15 min straight. Voila it is done.
Microwave Indian Green Chicken Curry
- 800 gm Chicken
- 1 Onion, small
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5-6 clove Garlic
- 50 gm Cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- ½ cup Yogurt (drain the whey before using)
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1 Lime
- 2 tbsp Roasted besan (chickpea flour)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper powder
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil (or other cooking oil)
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 1-2 Dry red chillies
- ½ cup Fried Onions slices
- ½ tsp Methi seeds / fenugreek seeds
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces. Keep aside.
- In a mixer jar, blitz these (onion, ginger, garlic all cut into small pieces, green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, yogurt and lime juice, salt) into smooth paste.Green curry paste is ready.
- Add the above green curry paste int the chicken along with roasted chickpea flour / besan, salt and mustard oil.Marinate the chicken in this green curry paste for 30 min.
- Place the chicken along with the marination in a microwave safe bowl. Close the lid.
- Put the bowl in a microwave. Close the door. Set the microwave setting to 900 watt or whichever is high in your microwave.Set timing to 10 min or 15 min straight, if available. I can set the timing up to 10 min straight only. So I have cooked the chicken in microwave for 10 min plus then 5 min more.Switch on the microwave.
- Cook the chicken in microwave until soft and tender.
- Heat little oil in a tadka pan or small pan. Temper it with dry red chillies and methi seeds. Slot the methi seeds out of the oil and pour this flavoured oil over the chicken curry. Stir in the fried onions.
- Close the lid and serve after 5 min with steamed white rice or roti.
What different I do sometimes for variation and the optional steps?
1.Lightly roast the onions and garlic in a greased pan, before putting them in a mixer jar.
2. Adding roasted besan or chickpea flour in the marination paste improves flavour and texture of the gravy.
3. Sometimes I add coconut milk too in this recipe. But it is absolutely optional. This chicken curry taste absolutely good without the coconut milk too.
4. Adding tadka to your chicken curry, have you ever tried it? Then please give it a try at least once, you will love the intensity of flavour it brings to the chicken curry. Just warm up a teaspoon oil in your tadka pan, singe the dry red chillies, a teaspoon of chopped garlic and methi seeds. Take out the methi seeds before adding the tadka to your chicken curry.