Orange And Poppy Seed Muffins
Do you love orange and poppy seed muffins ? We absolutely adore these citrus muffins. Zesty orange and poppy seed muffins are perfect grab for breakfasts, afternoon snacks or for kid’s lunch boxes.
These easy to bake delicious muffins are light, sweet and can be served as light dessert too, when glazed with an orange marmalade. The citrus, sweet, crunchy flavour of these muffins are absolutely delightful and they looks so adorable.
These bright orange muffins are like flicker of golden sunshine that wakes you right up in the morning. Hence these are my favourite as breakfast muffins.
Baking With Citrus Fruits
My family is a big fan of orange and lemon muffins. Growing up, plain old fashioned slightly salted and sweet lemon muffins were quite regular in my home. Vanilla and lemons were the only two popular flavours then.
But adding black poppy seeds in to these muffins are entirely new to me. And while baking these orange poppy seed muffins, I discovered that orange, lemon and poppy seeds are an amazing combination.
I love love baking with citrus fruits. Lemons, limes, citron and oranges are some of my favourites. The zingy zesty flavours of oranges are so intoxicating and flavoursome. And I love the way the entire house smells so good when I bake cakes and muffins with oranges.
Have you checked our French Orange Yogurt Cake ?
Ingredients Needed For Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
Flour – these muffins calls for soft flour like all purpose or cake flour. It will make soft fluffy muffins. Together when mixed with baking soda and baking powder, which when added will react with orange juice to make the muffins rise.
Butter – I love the buttery flavour in my muffins. You can substitute this with any neutral flavour oil too.
Oranges – you will need both as orange marmalade, zest and juice.
Poppy seeds – tiny black poppy seeds are an excellent addition in these muffins. They add beautiful crunch in every bite. I would not prefer to swap with any other seeds.
Eggs and sugar – I love adding eggs in my cakes and muffins. Though eggs can be substituted with yogurt in general, but in this particular recipe I have not tried it. Sometimes substitution does not gives the desired results. Sugar you can adjust accordingly. Because this recipe uses marmalade also.
Orange And Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup Poppy seeds (black)
- ⅓ Cup Granulated sugar (more or less adjust accordingly)
- 125 Gm Butter
- 1 Cup Orange marmalade
- ½ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Orange zest (finely grated)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F
- Soak the poppy seed in milk for 20 minutes. This step will make the poppy seeds more crunchy
- Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin pan or line it with paper cases.
- Mix the orange zest with sugar and keep it aside. This will heighten the flavour of orange in the muffin.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the baking powder, mix it well.
- Stir in the sugar with orange zest and mix it well with the flour.
- Put the butter and 2/3 cup orange marmalade in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until the butter has melted and the ingredients are combined.
- Whisk the eggs and add it to the butter - marmalade mixture. Fold it well.
- Add the orange juice and baking soda to the above mixture and blend it well.
- Add the egg - butter - marmalade - orange juice mixture in the flour, slowly. Fold it with a spatula.
- Stir in the milk and poppy seed mixture in to the flour and fold it well.
- While adding the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients, keep it in mind that do not fold or blend it too vigorously. Do it with a light gentle hand. We do not want any gluten formation here. Else muffins will become hard and tough.Little bit lumps in the batter is okay.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the holes - fill each hole to about three-quarter full.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden and skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Heat the remaining marmalade and brush over the top of warm muffins.
- Leave them to cool in the pan for couple of minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm at room temperature.
VariationsYou can replace orange with lime zest and can be glazed with lime marmalade.