Can’t believe its Tuesday already !!! I had no idea how Monday slipped quietly and another day comes knocking at the door. Mondays are very deceptive and they arrived …. lets not discussed about it.
Instead lets talk about my new venture in kebab, did I say new ? yes because this time I am talking about vegetarian kebab…wait what is that ? Isn’t kebab are supposed to be of meat and meat only and that’s the reason they are christened like that. I am not sure whether purist will get excited at such an idea but world has become flat, geographical boundaries has become porous and people are no longer impervious to distant taste and culture, cuisines get fused paving the way for new and different reflecting the porphyry of bygone heritage and culture.
So please welcome Paneer kebab, definitely not new to the aficionado of Indian cuisine but for rest of the world, we do have something called paneer reshmi kebeb, the mere mention of it’s another cousin (did someone mention chicken reshmi kebeb !) makes the mouth drooling… hot from the tandoor with a zest of lemon juice drizzle all over it, soaked in its charcoal y aura, reshmi kebabs are something which are soft and silky (well that’s little exaggeration) but you know how good it is. I thought of making something similar with paneer, it has sour cream infused with saffron, flavoured with nutmeg, star anise and cinnamon with a subtle heat of pepper and some smoked paprika.
Recipe: Paneer reshmi kebab for barbecue nights
Summary: Paneer reshmi kebab marinated in sour cream infused with saffron and flavoured with nutmeg and star anise, then roasted in the oven in bamboo skewers, if barbecued over charcoal it will give this a nice smoky flavour.
- Paneer ( Indian cottage cheese) : 200 g
- Sour cream : 1 cup
- Saffron: a pinch
- Nutmeg powder : 1 tsp
- Star anise powder : 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder : 1/2 tsp
- Paprika : 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper
- Other vegetables to go :
- Diced onions : large size
- Bell peppers : 3 if using different color
- Skewers : 4-5
- Cut the paneer into squares and soaked it in warm milk for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the marination by whipping the sour cream and the spices listed there.
- Coat each of the cubed paneer with the marination and refrigerate it for 6-8 hrs or overnight.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the paneer, onions and bell peppers on the skewer and roast in a preheated oven at 375 F for 20 minutes or barbecued them on charcoal grill.
- Serve the paneer kebabs with mint chutney.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)
Stay tuned until next