Let me tell you this is the best summer refreshment of the season, you can get. This colorful salsa bursting with loads of flavor can put even the lime margaritas to shame. And this does not happen in a day…
” One fine summer afternoon, Pineapple and Mango decided to stroll along the beaches and they ask Avocado to accompany them, together they go happily, merrily, singing and dancing to the tune of salsa until they caught under the light drizzle of Lemon shower that drenched them, and swept off their feet by the breezy Cilantro, and after a roller coaster ride through the whirlpool of wind… they finally landed here …in my bowl “
I was ignoring the summer for a while. As if it has not yet arrived ! So when the cloud returns every morning persistently I become happy and thanked the heaven for saving me from another day of scorching heat. Summer is terrible in plains, full sun, long days, sweaty and humid and I imagined myself half drowned in pool of chilled water. No lemonade, no lime margaritas can save my day.
I longed to be on the beaches not so crowded, under the shade of that big umbrella, the beach must have at least a pier extending into the sea, trust me they looks so photogenic under the setting sun, sitting there for hours uncounted, feet buried deep in the cool sand, enjoying the cool breeze with a book in my hand, watching the surfers playing with the high waves, might sneak a peek at few couple holding hand together or kissing each others, some memories waiting to be happened, a new chapter about to begin…
A bad dreamer may be I am. Or a bad story-teller. But you can trust me on this – light refreshing summer salad or salsa as you might love to call it.
It is colorful and vibrant, it speaks of warm sunshine and light summery days and going by the rules of color therapy, you should dig into it right away because it is good for you, and for your mind, body and soul !
Cinco de mayo was the day when these three landed at my door. Believe my story but I know cynic will dig out the truth soon, that day those three were priced few cents lower than their regular prices.
Pineapple , mango and avocado salsa is for dreamers like me. Light, colorful and refreshing. The sweetness of pineapple marries so well with the tartness of mango, with little pieces of avocado thrown here and there in good measure, with an undertone of heat from the jalapeno, few fresh squeezes of juiciest lemon, few scattered leaves of fresh cilantro and the crunch from the red onion adds life to it.
To get the flavours right, first try it on the tortilla chips. Then go and present it with a panache on your barbecue nights, absolutely perfect for any char grilled meat dishes or serve it simply with tortilla chips on your cocktail evenings.
- 1 : Pineapple (peeled, cored, chopped into bits)
- 1 : Mango (sweet and tart; peeled, pitted and chopped)
- 1: Avocado (peeled, pitted and chopped)
- 1: jalapeno (seed removed; minced)
- ½ cup : Red onion (minced or very finely chopped)
- 5-6 : Grape tomatoes (seed removed; chopped)
- 1: Lemon
- ½ cup: Cilantro (chopped)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash and cut all the fruits as mentioned. For a nice presentation and uniform texture, try to cut all the fruits in equal dimensions.
- In a big bowl, add the cut fruits, the minced jalapeno, minced onions, chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
- Squeeze a generous drizzle of lemon juice. I have used half lemon for the recipe.
- Dash of salt and pepper if you wish so.
- Give it a gentle stir and cover. Let the flavors to mingle with each other.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled on your favourite tortilla chips.
- This salsa is also a good accompaniment for any meat dishes, try it with chicken or lamb burgers.
Have Happy summer days