This prosciutto and spinach stuffed Chicken Roulade is one of those classy and elegant dish , that looks absolutely stunning on the table . Looks complicated but lot easier to make. And when served with silken cashew butter sauce, this chicken roulade turns out absolutely delish and delightful meal.
Roulade is definitely a fancy dish, retro in style and the one which you would not dare to try at home easily. But with the easy availability of pre-cuts chicken and with little patience and time in hand, roulade is something that alone can perk up your dining scene.
Here is Turkey Roulade that you might want to try for Thanksgiving.
What Is Roulade In Cooking ?
Roulade means to roll as in Swiss Roll. This is savory version of the roulade, where chicken breasts are butterflied first. Then with a steady hand, it is pounded to even out the thickness. Stuffed with filling, roll, cook and then cut into discs. The swirls you get as you glide through the roulade, looks absolutely amazing.
Stuffing For Chicken Roulade
Spinach, mushroom , ricotta is one of the most classic and popular filling. You can never go wrong with that filling. And there are tons of other flavour combos to spice up your roulade filling. You can add bacon too.
We have added cubed prosciutto ham, apart from the classic pair of spinach-mushroom. Ditched the ricotta and skipped the cheese here. Bit of sun dried tomato and walnut had made this lot flavorful and amazingly delicious.
Sauce For Chicken Roulade
Chicken roulade is one extremely versatile dish that can be served with any kind of sauce literally. Dijon cream sauce, cranberry sauce, mushroom sauce to name just few. We have opted here for Alton Brown’s creamy and silky cashew butter sauce. Made from scratch and one of the finest sauce I had made till date. I was mighty impressed with the sauce when I had tried it out for the first time. The goodness of cashew butter, the smoothness of honey and earthy flavours of coconut milk with hint of paprika, all adds up to make this best sauce.
You might also like to try our Herb Crusted Turkey Breast In Sage Butter Garlic Sauce.
How To Make Chicken Roulade
The best cuts for making roulade are the chicken breast. You will need to trim off the chicken tenders before preparing the chicken breast for the roulade. Once that is done, you have to open the chicken breast, butterfly it. That is making it flat. Then with the help of a meat mallet, or you can use back of steel ladle too, pound the chicken breast with steady hand. This step itself will take some time. But it is important one. Else you would not be able to roll the chicken properly.
Once the chicken breasts are butterflied, pounded to get the even thickness throughout, next step would be to rub it generously with oil and spices. This will make chicken breast more flavorful and malleable and easy to work with.
Next step would be to stuff the chicken breast with the filling. Try to spread the filling evenly, mostly in the center and skip the edges. Then with a steady hand, with bit of patience try to roll (like jelly roll) the chicken breast along with the stuffed mixture. While doing so, if some stuffing mixture keeps oozing out from the edges, just push it inside. To keep the chicken roulade in place, you would need a good quality kitchen twine to tie the chicken breasts.
Basting the chicken roulade from time to while it is getting cooked in the oven, is another important step you should follow. Basting with oil will keep the outer layer of the chicken soft and moist.
Mushroom Ham Chicken Roulade In Cashew Butter Sauce
- 1 Kg Chicken Breast
- Salt, pepper and oil to rub the chicken
Stuffing For Chicken Roulade
- 1 Large Vidalia (White) Onions
- 100 gm Prosciutto (cubed)
- 1 Cup Spinach (chopped)
- ½ Cup Sun dried tomatoes (in olive oil)
- ¼ Cup Mushrooms (baby bella or porcini)
- ½ Cup Walnut chopped
- 1 Egg (large)
- 2 tbsp Rosemary (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Butter
Cashew Butter Sauce
- 2 Cups Roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp Honey
- ⅓ Cup Olive oil
- ¾ Cup Coconut milk
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
Prepare the stuffing :
- Heat the butter in a pan and saute the onions, followed by mushrooms till they changes color.
- In a mixing bowl add the sautéed onion and mushrooms followed by rest of the ingredients listed under for stuffing and mix them really well.
Prepare the roulade :
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 203 C
- Trim off the tenders from the chicken breast.Pound the chicken breast to flatten it and also to even out the thickness of the meat.
- Grease and season the chicken breast inside out with oil, salt and pepper. if you want you can add some spices too.
- Spread the stuffing evenly over the chicken breast and start rolling the breast from one end, tightly like a jelly roll.
- Tie well the chicken breast with your kitchen twine, so that the stuffing does not oozes out while roasting.
- Lightly baste the chicken breast with seasoned olive oil and tuck it into the oven.
- Keep on basting it with oil after every 15 – 20 minutes.
- Roasting for one hour or until done.
Cashew Butter Sauce
- Microwave the honey for 15 seconds and mix it with the olive oil.
- Place the roasted cashew nuts in the bowl of food processor and pulse for 5 seconds.
- While the processor is running, drizzle the honey and olive oil and process until an emulsion is formed and mixture is smooth.
- This will yield approximately 1/2 cup of cashew butter.
- Whisk the cashew butter, coconut milk and paprika over medium heat, adjust the salt and heat it until warmed through.
- Cashew butter sauce is ready to be served with chicken roulade.
- Take out the roasted chicken breast from the oven and leave for 10 minutes before slicing them.
- Serve the prosciutto - spinach stuffed chicken roulade with cashew butter sauce.