Classic Pumpkin Pie With Ginger Chocolate Crust
Presenting here an amazing creamy dreamy Pumpkin Pie for your holiday dessert table ! With a ginger spiced chocolate crust. All chocolate lovers rejoice please ! A delicious spin on the classic version of pumpkin pie. Chocolate and pumpkin marries so well, that you will love every ounce of it. And will reach out for more.
Homemade Pumpkin puree Vs Canned Pumpkin Puree
It’s not that we Indians do not make desserts from pumpkin. We do actually. We have our very own pumpkin halwa. But pumpkin pie, tarts and brownies ! Well, that’s a whole lot of new world opened to me once I landed in US. So pumpkin being my new muse, I fell in love with the pumpkin pie, when I had it from a store.
But pureeing the pumpkin at home or buying the canned one, was quite a dilemma from me. Initially I had tried to roast the pumpkin and then pureed at home to make the pumpkin pie. But smoothness was a big issue which ultimately affects the texture and taste of the pie. Second, finding the right kind of pumpkin with good flavour, perfect ripeness and color is big task too.
So, as long as canned pumpkin puree is easily available everywhere, that actually makes the life quite easier. Specially when you are planning to cook tons of other things for Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin And Chocolate !
Oh yes ! Pumpkin and chocolate. Chocolate makes everything taste lot better. It is not that I do not like the traditional buttery pie crust. I love that a lot. But believe me, when I had that pumpkin chocolate brownie ! I was completely sold on that. Since then I was dying to use this two flavours in one dish and the pairing turned out so deliciously good.
Now, cookies makes best crust for pies and tarts. And I discovered this when I made my very first chocolate crust New York style baked cheesecake.
Here I have used ginger snap cookies which has delightfully heightened the gingery spicy flavour in the pie. Together with little bit of chocolate and butter. The crust turned out so good that at one point of time, I thought that I liked the crust a bit more than the pie itself.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
I have diligently followed the classic pumpkin pie filling that uses eggs to hold the pie structure. This is baked pie and eggs adds that custard like texture. Smooth and silky. Most of the recipe uses condensed milk to sweeten the pumpkin puree. But here I have used brown sugar which adds an amazing flavour to the pumpkin pie. Again a twist to the classic version. But we simply loved it.
This recipe uses eggs in the filling which can not be skipped or replaced. This is more of a baked custard like pie. Cream makes the pie smooth and silky. You can replace some of the heavy cream with full cream milk too, like I did here. But cream is again an essential ingredient here. So do not skip it please.
I have flavoured the pumpkin pie filling with pumpkin pie spice, which is homemade one. I will suggest you to make this spice blend a day ahead and store it. This is a very versatile spice blend. I have used this spice blend in cakes and cookies to soups also.
Pumpkin Pie is the queen of thanksgiving Dining scene . For more easy Thanksgiving recipes, please refer to this post.
Pumpkin Pie With Chocolate Crust
- 9 inch pie tin
For the pie crust :
- 20 Ginger snap cookies
- 50 gm Dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp Butter (softened)
For the Pumpkin pie filling:
- 400 gm Pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup Full cream milk
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp Salt
To make ginger chocolate crust :
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. / 190 C
- Crush the ginger snap cookies and pulse them in a mixer till it resembles fine crumbs.
- In a mixing bowl add the ginger snap cookie crumbs, add the softened butter, molten chocolate, cocoa powder and mix it well.
- Pour the mixture into the 9 inch pie tin and spread the mixture evenly (base + walls of the pie tin) with the help of a spatula.
- Refrigerate the pie crust for 2 hours to 24 hours.
- Blind bake the crust at 375 F for 15 minutes.
- Take off from the oven and cool it completely.
To make Pumpkin pie filling :
- Preheat the oven at 375 F. / 190 C
- Mix brown sugar with the pumpkin spice and salt.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Whisk the pumpkin puree with eggs, milk and heavy cream until smooth.
- Stir in the sugar, spice mixture and whisk until no lumps of sugar are seen.
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the prepared chocolate pie crust
- Bake in the oven at 375 F for 45 minutes until the center of the pie remains wobbly or needle inserted in the middle comes out almost clean.
- Cool the pumpkin pie in the pan for 2 hours before serving.
By mixing 1 tsp of ground cinnamon with 1/4 tsp each of ground cloves, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground allspice and ground mace.
Enjoy the pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top or with some hot chocolate sauce if you prefers.