Veg Diwani Handi Or Subzi Diwani Handi (Mix Vegetable In Creamy Spinach Gravy)
Veg Diwani Handi or Indian mix vegetables in spinach gravy or “Subzi diwani handi ” is a beautiful medley of lightly roasted vegetables simmered in creamy spinach puree. And mildly spiced right with roasted Indian garam masala.
This veg diwani handi sabzi is very unique mix vegetable curry, slowly cooked over a slow flame for hours in creamy spinach gravy. You can also smoke the curry with a hot burning charcoal too, that will sure take the flavours to another level.
This recipe of veg handi does not uses onions and garlic and tomatoes even. Hence it perfectly suits for the festive seasons too when many of us abstain from eating onions and garlics.
Subzi Diwani Handi AT A Restaurant
The city of Mumbai is one giant melting pot of different cultures and cuisines. And a casual dining at one of the city’s shopping mall leads me to discover a new dish called “subzi diwani handi” . I love the name, the way the Indian restaurants give some fancy names to their delicious creations. I guess but I can understand why it is called “diwani” , it will leave you crazy enough. With its finger licking taste and smoky aromas emanating from the use of rich and varied spices. Every restaurant does this dish in their own style, with chef’s own signature touch added to it.
What Is Sabzi (Veg) Diwani Handi ?
As the name suggest this mix veg curry must have been cooked in a handi or a pot, clay pot in this case. Cooking in a pot definitely lends a unique touch to the dish, be it from the way it retains heat, the earthy flavours it adds to the dish and so on.
Veg diwani handi is a delightful mix vegetable curry cooked in creamy spinach gravy. A healthy and nutritious bowl of veg curry which has been amped up with nutrient dense spinach leaves.
Flavours in veg handi is more subtle in nature, creamy smooth with mild explosion of flavours all mixed together in such a way that it makes the dish a treasured one. This dish goes best with simple roti or paratha , you can pair it with naan or kulcha for special occasion too.
Is Veg Handi And Veg Kadai Same ?
Veg Kadai is also a mix vegetable curry. And I would like to relate the dish to something which is very robust in flavours with chunks of vegetables simmered in spicy onion-tomato masala.
In contrast, veg handi is more subtly spiced, small cubes of vegetables simmered in creamy gravy. This dish can also be made without the spinach too. But since I had it the same way at a restaurant, so I would love to follow that.
Looking For More Mix Vegetable Curry ?
Try our Delicious Veg Korma Recipe
Try Our Navratan Korma Recipe
Indian mix vegetable curry in spinach gravy
- 2 cups Mix vegetables (Green peas, corns, beans, carrots, very small florets of cauliflower cut into similar size)
- ½ tsp Ginger paste
- 2-3 Dry red chillies
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds / methi
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder (It includes cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, nutmeg in all 1:1:1:1 proportion)
- 2 cups Spinach puree (made with inch ginger piece and 1-2 green chillies plus blanched spinach)
- ½ cup Cream / milk
- 1 tbsp Butter / ghee
- salt to taste
- Wash and cut all the vegetables in similar size, preferably in small size.
- Heat some butter or ghee in apan. If you want to cut down the fat, feel free to use any cooking oil.Lightly roast the vegetables till they show some brown hues.
- Add ginger paste, saute it and followed by cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt.Fry the spices and let the vegetables incorporating the flavours.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tsp oil or butter or ghee and add the dry red chillies and fenugreek seeds.
- Temper the oil and add the spinach puree. This is done to flavour the spinach puree before adding it to the vegetables.
- Once the spinach puree is well-tempered add this to the mix vegetables along with some water if requires.
- Simmer the mix vegetables in spinach puree on slow heat till done.
- Sprinkle the garam masala over it, and check for the seasonings.
- Stir in the cream and reduce till the desired consistency.
- Serve hot with kulcha, naan or plain paratha.
Have Happy weekend