Eggplants holds a special place in Thai cuisine and so much that pale green eggplants get featured in almost every Thai curries and stir fried dishes. Stir Fried Thai Eggplants With Basil is an extremely popular dish in Thailand and is usually accompanied with strips of chicken, a delectable combo that will make you fall in love with it almost instantly.
You might also like our Thai Green Curry With Eggplants And Chicken
Eggplants has that inherent property to absorb the flavours and these goes extremely well in stir fried dishes, soft, full of flavour and succulent to the core.
However here instead of chicken I have paired these Thai eggplants with the beautiful and glorious cherry tomatoes with lots of Thai basil throw in for good measure.
When I first arrived at Thailand, I fell in love with the country, it was almost instantaneous and has a spontaneity to it. I never felt out of the place, it seemed to me that I knew this country, and I can spent rest of my life here. “A home away from home” kinda feeling.
Thailand is very touristy place, so in most of the restaurants and eateries, the foods are highly westernized . If ever you walked off the unbeaten path, then you will have fat chances to enjoy their ethnic dishes in truest of flavours.
I have seen these small bitter eggplants hanging from the wines in the markets of Thailand. In one of those markets I have tried the dish with chicken but somehow I liked the vegetarian version of it more. So when I spotted these eggplants in my new-found Oriental store, I picked them up, these were little bigger than those found in Thailand.
I know tomatoes are not native to Thailand and any self-respecting food connoisseur would agree to that, but aren’t these looks super cute ? Just to make it more peppy and colorful , I have added them without regretting, and ohh..dear these cherry tomatoes do screams for some hot peanut oil drizzle !
Get your pantry stuffed with bunches of Thai purple basil, because you will never know where to stop…. just keep adding them ! You will love every bit of it.
This recipe has been adapted from the book – Food of Thailand by Alan Benson.
Stir Fried Thai Eggplant With Cherry Tomatoes And Basil
- 12 Thai eggplants (small, round)
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 Asian shallots, (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger, (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp Sambal olek (red chilli paste)
- 10-15 Cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Black vinegar
- 2 tbsp Palm sugar (or use brown sugar)
- 18-20 Thai purple basil leaves
- 2 tbsp Sesame - peanut oil
- Wash and chop off the stalk of the eggplants and cut them into half.
- Toss the eggplants in 1 teaspoon of fish sauce and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the garlic, sliced ginger and chopped shallots and fry them on high heat till they turn brownish.
- Add the eggplants and continue stir frying them on high heat till they changes color.
- Lower the heat and add the sambal olek or chilli paste, give it a quick stir, add the vinegar, palm sugar and keep on frying till the eggplants charred and wilted and become tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, toss well, check the seasonings, add the remaining fish sauce and cook for two -three minutes.
- Lower the heat, cover and simer for 5 more minutes until the eggplants are tender but not mushy. Let it steam cook until it is ready to eat.
- Stir in the basil leaves and serve hot with moong noodles
Stay tuned for more