Vegetable Shahi Korma / Mix Vegetable Curry Without Onion Garlic
Vegetable Shahi Korma in Mughlai style is a delightful rendition of another equally popular dish called Navratan Korma. Only difference is that I have tailor made this curry to suit the ongoing festival seasons, when many of us abstain from eating onions and garlics. So this vegetable shahi korma perfectly goes well with the festival platter too. As this mix vegetable curry is cooked without onions and garlics.
What Is Vegetable Korma ?
Korma is a delightful north Indian style (Mughlai) curry which is subtly spiced with aromatic spices. Mix vegetable korma is a popular version of the non-veg korma curries. The base of any korma curry is undoubtedly the rich cashew based paste, yogurt, milk or cream . Tomatoes are generally not added here, thus keeping it in align with the popular whitish and creamy look of the korma curries.
Are Vegetable Korma And Vegetable Kurma Dishes Same ?
No. Vegetable kurma is a similar type of dish, south Indian in origin and is an essentially coconut based curry. Tomatoes are not that frequently used here, depending upon the region it belongs to.
Are Navratan Korma And Shahi Veg Korma Same ?
Both are almost similar in taste. Except that Navratan korma essentially features paneer cubes and fruits like pineapple or apple. Rest are almost similar.
In shahi veg korma onions are used, but I have made it without onions so that it can go well with the festive seasons.
How To Make Shahi Vegetable Korma ?
Making vegetable korma is very simple and easy. This is a dish that can be whipped up in less time, thus making it perfect for weeknights dinner as well. All you need is to arrange few vegetables (use whatever in hand) and few pantry staples for the base of the curry. I have added khova / mawa in the recipe, because I had. You can skip it that too. Veg korma will still taste as good as it is.
Steps to make vegetable korma –
1.Blanch or steam cook mix vegetables. I like the crunch of individual vegetables in the curry. You can also opt for slow cooking of the vegetables.
2. Make the korma paste – by blending soaked cashews, melon seeds, almonds, yogurt (not sour curd) and ginger. Add around a teaspoon of flour while making the paste. This will add body to the dish and will rounded off the flavours.
Before using the curd / yogurt make sure that it is not sour. We are not looking for any tanginess or sour taste in korma curry.
3. Keep the spices and spice powders ready. Once the korma paste is sauteed nicely, tip in the spices and along with the blanched vegetables. Here you can opt for slow cooking of the vegetables.
I also like to slide in one or two green chillies in the curry, while it is getting ready. The nice heat from the chillies gives a nice flavour to the dish. I do not use any red chilli powder here.
4. Once the gravy is almost done, finish it off with full cream milk . This further makes the korma very creamy.
5. I love to add tadka in the end. This is a good way to infuse flavours in the korma curry. I prefer ghee over oil for this shahi veg korma dish. Lightly sauteed kasuri methi and some dry red chillies in tadka goes very well with this veg shahi korma.
I also love to garnish the dish with ghee fried cashews.
Looking For More Korma Recipes ?
Vegetable Shahi Korma Recipe
- 1 Potato diced
- ¼ cup Green beans, diced
- ¼ cup Baby corn, diced
- ½ cup Carrots, diced
- ¼ cup Red capsicum, diced
- ¼ cup Green capsicum, diced
- ¼ cup Green peas
- ½ cup Cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup Yogurt, thick (not sour)
- 8-10 Cashews, split or broken
- 2 tbsp Magaz seeds (melon seeds)
- 4-5 Almonds
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1 Black cardamom, crushed or coarsely powdered
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3-4 tbsp Grated Khova / mawa
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- ½ Cup Warm Milk
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp Melted Ghee
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 15-20 Cashew, Split
- Peel and wash the vegetables. Dice all the vegetables and prepare them as mentioned.
- Blanch all the vegetables or steam cook the vegetables till partially done. Vegetables should have their crunchiness.
- Soak cashews, almonds and melon seeds in hot water for 20 minutes. This will ensure a creamy paste.Make the korma paste using all the ingredients listed under "korma paste" without adding any water.
- Heat a kadhai or pan and add the korma paste and salt. Saute the paste till the rawness goes off, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the spices listed under "spices used" , except bay leaves in the korma paste. Fry for 4-5 minutes more. You can add 1 teaspoon melted ghee also while frying the korma paste.
- Add all the blanched / steam cooked vegetables and mix it very well.Slow cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add khova/ mawa and sugar. Mix it very well.
- Add 2 cups hot water , green chillies, bay leaf, and let it slow cook for few more minutes, around 10 minutes till the vegetables are cooked through and korma looks done.
- Slow the heat. Add 1/2 cup warm milk. and simmer for 1-2 minute. Gravy will thicken. Adjust the seasonings.
- For Tadka:Heat 1 tsp melted ghee and lightly fry kasuri methi and dry red chilli.. Stir in to the korma.Heat another 1 tsp melted ghee, fry 15-20 split cashews and add to the gravy.
- Stir in cream if you want to.
- Serve the shahi vegetable korma with pulao, naan or laccha paratha.
You might also like our Sabzi Diwani Handi / Mix Vegetable Curry In Spinach Gravy.